Next to my work for the Dutch public news broadcast NOS and The Data Journalism Newsletter, I try to keep busy. Here are some highlights of the work I've done in the last couple years.
- Government widely uses predictive algorithms, ‘risk of discrimination’ (dutch), NOS, 2019;
- This is how thin you have to be, to walk the catwalk, NOS, 2018.
- AlsHetOngeveerMaarKlopt.nl, a Dutch webpage that explains basic math to journalists and whoever else needs it;
- Python for Journalists, a free, online course at datajournalism.com;
- Datajournalism.tools, a quick, beginner-friendly guide to find tools to analyse and visualise data;
- Data journalism goes undercover, Nieman Lab, 2019;
- Data Journalism Should Focus on People and Stories, Data Journalism Handbook, 2020 (to be published).
- About data journalism..., a hour-long interview (Dutch) on the field of journalism and its challenges and benefits, Argos Radio, 2019;
- 4 disclaimers and this thing I think I know about newsdesign, Smart News Design Conference, 2017;
- Spreek jij al data?, a plea in Dutch for more critical, data literate thinking for 300+ teenagers, TEDxYouth@Delft, 2015.
- Data Journalism Public Choice Award 2019, awarded for the This is how thin you have to be, to become a high fashion model video, NOS, 2018.